Washing Soda (sodium carbonate) is related to baking soda. It cuts through grease, softens water and disinfects. It can also be used in swimming pools to increase the pH level.
Before commercial cleaners and synthetic, chemical surfactants were introduced in the 1940s, the majority of household cleaning was performed by combining basic, natural ingredients, such as soap flakes, borax, washing soda and baking soda. These products may have required some additional "elbow grease", but they cleaned effectively and most importantly had little impact on the health of the user or the environment.
Eco-Pioneer Pure Washing Soda is 100% pure, with natural ingredients from local suppliers. Their boxes are made with 100% recycled paper fibres and use non-toxic, vegetable inks.
Basic Automatic Laundry Soap Recipe:
- 1 cup soap flakes (forces dirt out)
- 1/2 cup Eco-Pioneer Pure Washing Soda (cuts grease and softens water)
- 1/2 cup borax (kills germs and whitens)
- Mix ingredients together and stir well. For regular loads: Measure 1/2 cup of mixture and add to cold water in your washing machine. You can also add 4 to 5 drops of your favourite essential oil to the wash water. Add clothes and wash, as per machine instructions, rinsing with cold water.
- Presoak heavily soiled items in water water with 1/2 cup Eco-Pioneer Pure Washing Soda for 30 minutes. Rub soiled areas with moistened soap flakes.