Getting a good night’s rest and being able to reset after a long day remains a priority that is difficult to obtain for many individuals. There are many alternatives to help make sure that you can rest and reset each night, and using an all-natural aid to help you get there is easier than you think. This guide will tell you the key components that you should look for in a sleep aid, and give recommendations to help you get a better night’s sleep.
One of the most known and talked about, this sleep aid is a derivative that acts like the hormone within your own body. Melatonin is responsible for telling your body to relax and helping you to naturally set healthy sleep and wake times. Taking melatonin alone can help you to achieve a better night's sleep.
- Melatonin is a hormone that helps to trigger your body to relax and rest, working with your “internal clock” to signal it is time to sleep.
- Melatonin can be used during times when your body is struggling to rest, such as in cases of jet lag or if working night or late shifts.
- Melatonin also has success in treatments of seasonal depression, tinnitus, hormone imbalances in men, stomach ulcers, heartburn, and even eye health.
Melatonin is sold alone or in combination with other ingredients to help improve your quality and ability to sleep. Using this natural supplement can help with sleep disorders, conditions and inability to feel rested. It is a great option for those struggling at night.
Valerian is an herb that is native to Europe and Asia and is commonly used in eastern medicine for sleep disorders. The valerian root can be taken as a tea, supplement or in combination with other ingredients. It promotes GABA, a neurotransmitter that produces a calming effect.
- Valerian also treats anxiety and nervousness, which can make it more difficult to sleep.
- Studies are being conducted to determine if it is more effective for long term or short term use.
- Side effects are often nonexistent and there is not a groggy feeling the morning after taking this herb.
Valerian is a great herb to help with anxiousness and sleeplessness. While the studies can't agree if it is best used for short or long periods, it offers a great option for easing you into sleep without causing a drag the next day.
Magnesium is a mineral needed by the body to function every day. Magnesium is used by the body for countless functions from muscles and nerves, immune system function, bone strength, normal heartbeat, and blood sugar. Magnesium has also found success in treatments of sleep disorders.
- Magnesium is essential for having GABA production, a natural hormone that promotes calming and relaxation. It is also useful in the production of melatonin and renin that both promote healthy sleep.
- For restless leg syndrome, depression or anxiety, magnesium has been successful in helping to treat sleeplessness.
- There are other health benefits such as muscle, bone and heart health improvements that can be found in taking a magnesium supplement.
Magnesium works in the body in over 300 different reactions and has countless functions. Ensuring that you receive a daily amount of magnesium can improve your health in many ways along with helping you to relax at night for a great sleep.
This sweet-smelling, beautiful purple flower is known for its calming effects. Using a lavender scent with aromatherapy can drastically improve the quality of sleep. While this can be taken as a supplement, studies are still being conducted to determine the effectiveness and side effects.
- Smelling lavender essential oil 30 minutes before bed can not only improve the quality of your sleep, but also the ability to relax and fall asleep.
- Lavender is thought to promote relaxation of the body and mind; slowing the heart rate, breathing rate and blood pressure show the physical reaction of the sweet scent.
- Diffusing lavender oils into the air have also been found to be effective in treating insomnia and improving sleep throughout the night.
The sweet flower can help to relax the body before sleep and even improve your cycles throughout the night. Allowing this scent into your room at night can help to make it easier to slip into sleep and stay resting the entire night.
Glycine is an amino acid that we naturally produce when we eat healthy amounts of high protein foods. This amino acid has numerous functions in the body including influencing the production of serotonin- a neurotransmitter that is responsible for mood and sleep.
- While the actual effects of how Glycine works are still being studied, numerous tests have shown that patients found themselves able to sleep better, feel more rested and have better moods the next day.
- Glycine also works to lower the temperature of the body naturally, telling us that it is time to sleep.
- Because of the lowered temperature, you can stay asleep longer (have better, longer REM sleep) and fall asleep faster.
This natural amino acid has found great success in treating insomnia and helping individuals enjoy a good night’s sleep without the “hangover” effect the next day. While the mechanism of how it works is still being studied, it offers great hope to those.
The chamomile flower has long been used in teas to help promote relaxation. It can be useful in promoting sleep as well. It can be boiled into a tea or taken as a tincture as well. Chamomile is a great option for those that enjoy hot tea before bed to help them settle in for the night.
- Chamomile also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory actions to it as well.
- Chamomile comes in different forms and can be used alone or with other ingredients to promote sleep.
- Studies are being conducted to determine the effectiveness of treating insomnia.
A hot cup of tea with honey may help you to relax before calling it a night. Allowing yourself to relax and be able to fall asleep faster will provide relief for a good night’s sleep. While the studies are being conducted on how to use it and what it is useful for, the flower has been used for centuries in herbal medicine to aid the sleepless.
Passionflower has long been used for the treatment of insomnia. The flower is boiled into a tea and taken to promote relaxation and improve the quality of sleep. While evidence for taking this as a supplement is still being studied, the flower is a great alternative to try and help you to sleep.
- Studies have not been able to determine if taking tea or supplement has the best effects for sleep.
- The variety that is known for its sleep effects is mainly grown in North America.
- The passionflower is also useful for muscle relaxation and has a very calming effect.
This flower has mixed reviews in studies for the best method to take and its effectiveness. However, this option does allow for a tea that has been used in herbal medicine for years as a tried and true method for relieving insomnia.
Hops have been commonly used for the treatment of insomnia and anxiety. While it is mainly known for its use in adult beverages, this herb also works well to produce calming effects. It also has other health benefits such as lowering cholesterol, weight loss, lower blood sugars, and assisting with sleep.
- Hops help to boost GABA production in the brain that gives a calming effect.
- Hops can be used alone but are also paired with valerian root for maximum effectiveness.
- It has been found to increase the duration of sleep and lower body temperature naturally.
While it doesn’t produce the same effects when consumed in beverage form, hops is a great herb to help promote longer, healthier sleep with or without valerian. This herb is an alternative with other health benefits that can improve other concerns as well.
Ginseng has earned a place in eastern medicine for numerous health problems. It has been used for reducing stress, encouraging physical performance, enhancing memory and many more concerns. Recently, however, studies have found that it can also improve sleep.
- The quality and quantity of sleep were found to be higher in patients that took the ginseng supplements.
- It is believed that because of the calming effects, it can allow for more quality sleep.
- Ginseng can be taken as a supplement or tea.
Ginseng has a place in Chinese medicine to improve overall health and quality of life in those that take it. Adding ginseng or taking a supplement with it included may be the answer to allowing yourself to be able to spend less time in bed awake and get more REM sleep.
5-HTP, also known as 5-Hydroxytryptophan, is an amino acid that helps to promote natural serotonin levels in the body. We absorb this from foods that we eat and help to regulate our sleep and wake cycles. This can be used with GABA to maximize the effects.
- By increasing serotonin levels, it can also improve weight loss, mood, anxiety, depression, and sleep symptoms.
- 5-HTP has also had promise in different studies with treating pain, fibromyalgia, daytime fatigue, and reducing sleep terrors in children.
- 5-HTP has side effects of headaches, stomach pains and shouldn’t be taken for more than 6 weeks.
5-HTP is a great method to help boost low serotonin levels. Because of this, it is also effective in improving mood, decreasing anxiety and working with your body to keep a regular sleep-wake cycle. Whether it is taken alone or with other supplements, it has great health benefits and can improve your sleep.
The magnolia tree bark has been used in medicine for helping with sleep, memory, stress, digestive health, and weight loss. The natural composition helps with various components and can make a difference in getting enough sleep and better quality.
- Magnolia bark can help ease symptoms of anxiety and depression that keep you awake.
- It can help with the quality and duration of sleep that you get each night.
- It has also shown enhanced effects when used with ginger.
Magnolia bark is a great natural supplement to help with various health concerns and to better your sleep. This can be used in a tea or supplement to help get a better night's sleep. You can look to this natural and historical bark for your sleep.
The jujube fruit is full of vitamins, minerals, healthy fats and has been used to treat stomach upsets, insomnia, pain, and stress. This fruit has been shown to help make you spend more time sleeping and be in deeper REM sleep for longer.
- The jujube fruit causes an increase in GABA and serotonin that produces a calming effect.
- Jujube is also known for helping the immune system, lowering blood sugar, decreasing inflammation, helping with heart and brain function and helping with constipation.
- Jujube is a great fruit and is even in candies.
This fruit is a great natural option to improve many aspects of health, including improving the amount of deep sleep you get each night. While it can be eaten as a fruit, it can also be included in a supplement.
L-theanine is an amino acid that is found naturally in tea leaves and promotes relaxation. L-theanine is responsible for a variety of hormones such as serotonin, dopamine, and GABA that all work to promote relaxation, mood, sleep, energy and appetite.
- L-theanine also reduces the causes of stress and anxiety through natural chemical reactions in the body.
- It can help you to fall asleep faster and sleep longer at night through its relaxing properties.
- Children with ADHD were found to be able to sleep better when using L-theanine at night.
L-theanine is found naturally in tea. It can help you be calm during the day and relax while also promoting a healthy sleep at night. This offers great hope for people to allow them to rest easier and longer at night.
Containing GABA, melatonin, valerian root, L-theanine, 5-HTP, and passionflower extract, this supplement has a combination of herbs and natural ingredients to help you achieve a better night’s sleep. Whether you work shift work, struggle to fall asleep, or won't stay asleep, this combination can be helpful for you.
Full of jujube, hops, passionflower, and valerian root, this supplement can help with sleeping and calming down at night. Being able to calm anxiety at night and settle in can make sleeping easier for many, and this supplement offers that to individuals.
Being able to fall asleep and stay asleep can help with nearly every aspect of your life. You can improve your mood, appetite, immune system and your ability to get the best night’s sleep. If you want to improve your health, start with your sleep.
Magnesium, GABA and Melatonin are a winning combination to help your body rest and reset each night. The magnesium helps to support natural functions while the melatonin and GABA work with your body’s rhythm teaching it to have a healthy routine.
There are a variety of natural herbs and supplements to help you achieve a more restful night’s sleep. Trying to find a product with the best combination for your body is essential to make sure you’re able to fall asleep, stay asleep and wake up rested in the morning.
Tell Us What You Think
Comment down below what helps you sleep at night. Do you have a routine that works for you? Is there a product that you swear by? What do you do to wind down at the end of the night? Tell us down below.