The rich red pigments that give Montmorency cherries their luscious red colour are called anthocyanins. Anthocyanins are natural antioxidants. It is a type of phytonutrient known as flavonoids, which have been linked to a variety of health benefits.
- Tart cherries are rich in antioxidants
- Research suggests that tart cherries are a natural pain reliever and may reduce inflammation
- Potential to reduce the risk of certain cancers
- Source of melatonin, a potent antioxidant that helps regulate natural sleep patterns
- May offer protection against cardiovascular disease
- An excellent source of beta carotene (Vitamin A)